Friday, November 28, 2014

An Aside: On Sim Romance


Today I had an extremely eye-opening gaming experience.

I've become active in the Sims 4 forums, reading other Simmers' stories and discussing gameplay and from my discussions with others, my game-play has changed a lot in a very short amount of time. And yet, it wasn't until today that I came to respect my Sims. It may sound strange, seeing as their just pixels and coding, but let me explain.

I first began playing the Sims when I was given TS2 Pets for Christmas but I never became a zealous player. My memories of the TS3 are mostly of spending hours looking for and downloading mods and Custom Contents, creating Sims, decorating houses, beginning playing and ... getting bored. Within minutes. I couldn't understand how certain players could create such intricate and absorbing stories with their Sims. And despite being bored whenever I began game-play, I remained strangely obsessed and drawn to the game to the point that I couldn't play it but I couldn't stay away either. It was, to understate things, frustrating.

So, that explains the reason why I couldn't resist TS4 when it came out, despite my turbulent relationship with the previous games. I tackled this game with more enthusiasm, thinking that with these new emotions I would be more drawn to these little digital people. Nope. No such luck. I got bored almost instantly.

I began reading Sims 4 legacy (and other) stories and then I thought ... why not try to blog my own story? I had attempted legacy stories before, and I always had storylines in my head when playing, but got impatient that things took too long to develop. But thinking a story is not the same as actually writing it down – I of all people (having written some stories and not written many more) should know this. I decided to give it a shot.

Wow. Am I ever a zealous player now.

I became conscious of the biggest mistake of my game-play history: zoomed out, most of the game play spent on number 3. I never took the time to observe Sims expressions, never took the time to appreciate and contemplate the simulation – didn't pause over the cooking animation and I certainly didn't take the time to consider that my Sim could be smart enough to autonomously select a lover on their own.

This brings me to today's game-play experience. I've always been a controlling Simmer and with the Challenge I'm doing right now, a certain amount of control has to be exerted for the objectives to be met. The challenge of relevance today was that my Generation 2 heir (this being CeeCee) had to have a lover, and possibly have a child by that lover.

Being the controlling Simmer that I am, you see, I knew exactly who that lover was going to be the day CeeCee met him: Deandre May. He was such a handsome Sim and he and CeeCee had the Geek trait in common and they became friends so fast. If the challenge didn't require CeeCee to marry someone with a creative trait, I would have had CeeCee seduce him on that first night they met. As it was, I contented myself with befriending him and just waiting for the right moment to strike.

That moment came when Chapter 17 rolled around. CeeCee and Sri had a big fight and she headed over to Cristina's for some comforting. Only, Cristina wasn't there (she went “fishing” haha), only her roommate Deandre. That's when I switched the game control over to Deandre for this part of the game play (so it would look like he was coming on to her and not the other way around).

I had Deandre confess his attraction to CeeCee ... and was met with total rejection. Yikes. I had them talking some more, flirted, and boy did that not go well! I was starting to panic. I didn't have a back up plan and, selfishly, it just had to be Deandre – for me, you see, not CeeCee. CeeCee still has about 11 days of adulthood – plenty of time to meet and seduce someone else. But, my heart was with Deandre. So, I used the cheat to up both of their romantic feelings for the other. And then, to my huge surprise – Deandre was rejected again!!!!

Eventually, CeeCee came around (I switched control back to her to flirt with Deandre and he rejected her as well!) and I finally got my much anticipated affair, but a huge damper had been put on it.

And I realized that Sims are more autonomous than I give them credit for. I hadn't realized that some Sims just don't want to be in a relationship together. Maybe it was different in TS3 when there was no separate bars for friendship and romance, therefore romance always struck me as easy and superficial.

I may have had my way this time, but my eyes have been opened and I won't make the same mistake again next time. Even if I have my heart set on a particular Sim, my heir/spare is the one who has to flirt and woohoo ... and I shouldn't be forcing them on someone they're quite clearly striking a red bar through.

Sorry for the rant, but I had to get this off my chest. I am so glad I have decided to document this legacy – it has revolutionized the Sims for me, in the best of ways. I have never been less bored playing and I know that my Sims will surprise and delight me even more in the future. I can't wait ^^

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your reflection over how you've changed as a Simmer. I definitely play the same way, slow, and just enjoying watching my Sims do the things they do. I almost never ever play in fast mode, and partly because I like to take a lot of pictures, lol. I try not to 'plan ahead' and just let things unfold. Thanks for sharing! I felt it really added a lot to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment! Sims stories like yours and CathyTea's are really what have inspired me to look more closely into this game and what has made me fall in love with my Sims. I'm still guilty of planning ahead which I do want to force myself to grow out of - always thinking ahead lessens the present moment. I've only just begun generation 3 and I'm already dying for generation 4 to roll around because I've planned every moment until then, LOL. Except the game recently threw something totally unexpected at me (which I can't wait to share with everyone reading my story) which has forced me to abandon my planning and take the story in a totally new direction. It's wonderful!! Still, taking things as they come (or just short-term instead of long-term planning) and playing less in fast mode is a long-term Sims goal for me. Baby steps! :p

      Delete